Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Importance of Parent / Teacher Communication Video


I found this video on schooltube and thought it was very relevant to This We Believe. In This We Believe the importance of parental and community involvement in the middle school is very important and it is greatly emphazised in this video. The counselor of this school talks about the importance and benefits of parents being involved in their children's education.Children feel more “at home” in school when they see their parents take an active role in their education. Many parents have the misconception that teachers are not much more than babysitters. We must help parents understand what we do and how our classrooms work. During open house we should address common questions that parents have as well as ask for suggestions. We must address their concerns early on and again COMMUNICATION is key.
http://www.schooltube.com/video/003d77dc50787348fbcf/Parents%20and%20School%20Counselors%20–%20Partners%20for%20Student%20Success

3 comments:

  1. We talked about the absence of active parental involvement in the Middle Level grades during our group discussion Sunday evening.Parents are actively involved in the elementary grades, but seem to take the hands-off approach of their ML students. Parents fail to realize the importance of their involvement; MLS have to continue encouraging parents to get involved. Principals, teachers recognize this characteristic MUST be present not just recommended within TWB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your last sentence that emphasizes the importance of communication. I think one reason parents stop being so involved is that they are not asked to come into the classroom or go on field trips as they are in the elementary schools. They feel as though their roll stops at that point. I think us simply providing more opportunity for the parents to be engaged would go a long way. Like you said we must COMMUNICATE to them what we would like their roll to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always believed that the parent is the child's first teacher. In doing teacher field experience and observations I have had the opportunity to see students who have parents that are and are not involved in their education. Research has proven that students who have parents that are involved in their education achieve higher than students' parents who are not involved. When teachers have support at home students comprehend and retain big ideas.

    ReplyDelete