Article: The Effects of School-wide Positive Behavior Support on Middle School
Climate and Student Outcomes
Authors: Paul
Caldarella, Ryan H. Shatzer, Kristy M. Gray, K. Richard Young, and Ellie L.
Young
This article is about a study that investigated the effects of
school-wide positive behavior support (SWPBS) on middle school climate and
student outcomes. This article fits into
the scope of “This We Believe” under the characteristic: The school
environment is inviting, safe, inclusive, and supportive of all. This article can be found at http://www.amle.org/portals/0/pdf/publications/RMLE/rmle_vol35_no4.pdf
Liked the article. If implementation of the intervention mentioned in the article is able to curb negative behavior by 30-50%, it should be tried in all middle schools. I thought it sad that the MLS would try Positive Behavior after they saw positive results. MLS should be right there in the front of the line and not following behind in looking for solutions to ML behavior problems. Our school uses small-group services for our at-risk students.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, Kill em with Kindness :-) Although a cliché saying it has so much truth behind it. I currently do sales full time for Hewlett Packard; although, I did get my first job as a long term sub starting in the fall- YAY! In the role I have now I have to deal with a lot of customer satisfaction issues and you would be AMAZED at how much farther a smile and a positive tone will get you get with someone even if you are still giving them bad news. I just wish positive behavior patterns were the norm and not something we have to go out of our way to implement.
ReplyDeleteThis study is really good evidence of the results that a positive environment can have on our students.As middle level educators our goal should be to create these positive environments. To ensure that they are active in our schools administrators can form learning communities that emphasize what the school stands for. Teachers can ensure they have a positive environment by trying to keep a balance between the needs of their students and the curriculum. They can promote a caring environment by asking about the students’ lives and taking an interest in them. They can also do it by keeping good communication with parents as well as other educators. I would love to conduct a study like this so I can see this first hand.
ReplyDelete