Monday, June 18, 2012

Middle Level Video: Guidance Services

I thought this connected with the Guidance Services aspect of This We Believe.  Although this video has a kind of ‘light’ attitude about things I really think it hits home to a lot of the fears that middle school students have coming right out of elementary school into this new setting.  They may connect with something like this better than a lecture from an elderly guidance councilor they see as out of touch with what they are actually experiencing.  This makes me wonder if having peer advising groups with the older students as leaders as well as a professional guidance counselor would prove helpful in the middle school setting.

2 comments:

  1. I tried watching this video and had to stop. Since it did not appeal to me, 13 year olds would probably love it! Ha. Our guidance counselor has good relationship with the students; they like her sillies. She is a real adult advocate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely did not appeal to me either Charlene. However having a 14 year old sister I can see how teens would be more likely to listen to another teen ager rather than an adult tell them about the problems they will face in MS. I did like how the girl addressed cyber bullying since it is such a problem today and I see students relating to her better. I agree that peer coulseling would be helpful for MS students.

    ReplyDelete